Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hasta luego, Lima

Today begins the next step of our adventure! Savannah, Emily and Margaret are gone, off to their homestays in Cusco and Puno.  Jaclyn and I leave for Chachapoyas at 4 this afternoon. I'm guessing that Internet will not be too accessible in Lamud, so this may be my last post for a while.

Yesterday we relaxed, organized and said our goodbyes to the city I was just beginning to know - for now! Margaret, Savannah and I took a trip to an Incan market where I found a baby alpaca sweater to keep me warm during the chilly nights at Maria's. We stopped at a grocery store for propel packets and small shampoo, neither of which I was successful at locating, but oh well. Emily and I later took a walk to Arabica, an espresso bar (unfortunately I decided to let my stomach wait on the caffeine until the exit seminar) and AlmaZen, an organic restaurant with a delicious menu but a bit expensive for a lunch. I ended up eating Malu's scrumptious creation at the hostel with some much needed soup :) Later we searched for Sancho, Nico's dog who disappeared around the beach, to no avail. Stay safe Sancho! For dinner, we tested a vegetarian restaurant and Tete's master pisco sours back at the hostel. At dinner, we learned more about Andean culture and what we may encounter in our homes for the next month. Knock on wood I don't get sick again, but if I do, I may be cured by a cuy (guinea pig) according to traditional medicine. I wonder whether time will fly for the next month or pass slowly, as there are certainly less distractions in a tiny village in the northeast of Peru. Leah talked about how powerful it can be to re-find your balance when placed in a completely new environment, through whatever means brings that sense of equilibrium. So for the next month, I will call a new place home and new people family. It's a place that google knows little about, and that takes a day to reach. I'm both excited and nervous, but will learn by listening, sharing and simply watching. Be back in a month!

Much love,
Maya :)

No comments:

Post a Comment