Sunday, July 14, 2013

Viviendo con las Nubes - Living with the Clouds

Is how it felt as the packed van ascended the mountain from Chachapoyas to Lamud. It's beautiful here, surrounded by breathtaking mountains on all sides. After the long bus ride, we arrived in Chachapoyas around 3 in the afternoon on Friday. We were greeted by Maria's mother and sister, and quickly found ourselves sitting in a packed van loaded with our luggage atop and headed for Lamud. In Lamud, I parted ways and left with Dona Marina and her sons Pablo and Pedro who eagerly carried my bag to their home. Through a small blue door we entered the house, which is almost entirely exposed with a small roof over the 'hallway' row of rooms. I really had no clue what to expect, and it's definitely the farthest thing from any place I've ever spent time at before. They moved a bed, which takes up the majority of the space, into a room especially for my visit and I unloaded some of my belongings onto the surfaces which also hold many of theirs. When I met again with Jaclyn later, we both shared a common experience of having sat alone in our rooms thinking, 'whoa, what am i doing here...' This next month will remove me further from my comfort zone than I have ever been before, and my lifestyle will surely be rough, but Marina's house has already begun to feel like my home in Lamud. Friday night we accompanied Maria, Marina, and several others to a town fundraiser where the Club de Madres was selling food to support the municipality. It was a late night, and I didn't end up finally resting until around midnight. I slept soundly, worn out from the travels, save a few wakes from the crows of the roosters. Saturday Maria, Jaclyn, and I walked around Lamud, visiting the Club de Madre's site and the town dairy. We simply sat for a while, taking in our surroundings and sharing each other's company in silent reflection. In the afternoon, Jaclyn and I accompanied Roxana and her American peace corps volunteer, Olga, to these caves outside of Lamud. Roxana had organized the trip to train people who are becoming guides in the city. It was an incredible site, and the group quickly welcomed us as one of their own. The man who led the group encouraged us to take in the site as one of nature's gifts, a piece of art that surrounds us but that many no longer take the time to really see. We returned to Lamud after the sun had set, and I ate dinner with the family and then watched White Chicks on the small TV with the family, before going to bed early. This morning, Marina, the boys, Maria, her mother and sister, Jaclyn and a man Jose took a trip to a mill nearby. The man behind the masterpiece is now 99 and had to move to the town center from his amazing recluse outside of town for health reasons, but one can appreciate his genius from a short visit to the mill. Everything is powered by the flow of the water, from the flour mill to the lights to the saw. Essentially all of the materials have been recycled, and the space is a testimony to the brilliance that can arise from necessity and creative innovation. We walked through the gardens and enjoyed some crisp apples from the many trees on the property. Next, we toured around a new hotel in town, which was incredibly beautiful but rather expensive. I'm really curious who the guests will be.... Finally, we shared a lunch at Marina's house and rested. I had grand plans to take a shower, but Pablo and I couldn't figure out the hot water situation so they were thwarted. Showering doesn't seem to be too big here....but soon one will be needed. Tonight, a reunion has been planned for Jaclyn and I to meet the rest of the Mother's Club. Tomorrow, we plan on leaving around 5 AM to walk the two hours to Maria's family farm...that is Peruvian time though so lets hope its a bit later.... So I am safe and sound in Lamud, adapting to a new place and enjoying the break from the chaos and pollution of Lima. Will try to post again soon! XOXXX

1 comment:

  1. sounds amazing maya. what is so nice about your adventure is you are so far from everything you are used to so who knows how it will change you, its so exciting. you can just totally immerse yourself in something without the typical distractions. verrry nice, hope you figure out how to operate the shower, i have faith in you though ;) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete